Monday 31 May 2010

Kombucha Sugar and Ginger

I bottled my Kombucha on the 3rd April 2010 and thought I'd experiment with some Ginger and different amounts of sugar.


I thinly sliced root ginger and added about 4 or 5 slices about the size of your index finger nail plus different amounts of sugar ranging from 1/4 to 1/2 an teaspoon.


Well I thought I'd open a bottle today to see what it tasted like and got a bit of a shock!!


There was plenty of gas produced and I managed to get the lid back on before I sprayed the entire kitchen with Kombucha.


I release the stopper a tiny bit to let out the gas and all I can say is that this is one explosive mixture.


Once the pressure had dissipated, I could smell the ginger in the air. I poured some out and WOW!! Very fizzy and a subtle hint of ginger. 


My only concern now is what the remaining bottles are like and have I generated my own accident waiting to happen.


I'll see if I can get some video footage when I next open another bottle. I think I'll open it on the decking in the safety of the outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment