Saturday 3 April 2010

I've left my Kombucha for too long.....or have I?

I have been side tracked for the last week or so with on goings in the house that I neglected my Kombucha brew. I normally have it fermenting for about 9 days which gives my 6 Litre batch enough time to convert the sugars. After this time period, there has been a consistent loss of liquid of around a litre. Well this time it has been reduced by 2 litres which is quite a lot considering that I only let it ferment for 2 weeks.


I was expecting too see an exhausted Scoby but too my surprise, it was beautifully white and healthy. On removing it to see the colour of the liquid, I was chuffed to bits to see that it hadn't been affected by this longer period. OK the 'yeasty threads' were more abundant and the liquid appeared darker but all I did was place my tea strainer in the liquid at the mouth of my tap, that way at least I could be happy that I would get a clearer liquid when I bottled.


Having tried the apple juice route last time, i thought I'd try something different....


I like the flavour of 'ginger ale' and thought 'what would it taste like if I added some slithers of ginger root?'. So this time I have put about a 1/2" cube of thinly sliced ginger root in and added a 1/4tsp of caster sugar to assist a second fermentation and provide me with some fizz. I have also added a 1/4tsp of caster sugar to 2 other bottles and 1/2tsp to another 2 to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment