Thursday 11 March 2010

Kombucha and Fruit

I don't know if you've ever made Sloe Gin before where you pierce the skin of the Sloes and add them with an equal measure of sugar to a bottle of Gin. Well I thought I'd try a similar thing with Kombucha only this time I was using Blueberries and no sugar.

I pierced about a dozen Blueberries and placed them in a bottle of Kombucha, ensuring that I still had room at the top for the pressure build-up. After about 5 days or so, I checked the bottle and it gave a reddish tinge when viewed through the brown bottle. On opening, I got a lovely 'fizzt' and a rose coloured liquid pored out.

On tasting the Kombucha, I was a bit disappointed as I expected the flavour to have taken on that of the Blueberries. I must admit that they were a wee bit bland a taste before I put them in, so perhaps that was why. But there must have been a sugar content for the yeast to live on to give off the extra carbon dioxide.

Next time I'm going to use a more sweeter berry and increase the ratio to see if that works better.

No comments:

Post a Comment