Saturday 13 February 2010

How I came across Kombucha

I first came across Kombucha via our local Supermarket. They had a commercial product by a Latin name that read pretty well. So I bought it and enjoyed it as a refreshing drink. But it wasn't until I was at my new job in a fabrication workshop that I happened to asked what a friend of mine had in his bottle.

'This is Kombucha' he said. 'I make it at home, want to try some?' So I did. It tasted like a scrumpy cider, very close to turning into vinegar. 'How did you get into this then?' I asked. He began telling me about one of our other work mates who was away at the time. He introduce the beverage to him as my friend was an avid home brewer of wine and pretty much anything. When he heard about the health benefits he thought at 50, he'd give it a go.

He'd been making it over the last couple of months and been drinking it pretty regularly. When our mutual colleague returned, he explained about  it a bit more. It had me interested and intrigued. He said it has different effects on everyone. He found that he had a regular morning constitutional and it stripped him of fat. One thing he did say was that you had to make sure that you drank plenty of water during the day to assist in getting rid off all the toxins that the Kombucha removes from your body. As an engineer, I could imagine what toxins and rubbish were laying inside a body after 30yrs or so of abuse. So I continued asked about getting started and our mutual friend said he has a spare brewing kit if i want to buy it off him. So I did.

I went to town and bought myself a couple of books on the subject and was extremely amazed about the Kombucha drink and its combination with green tea and this thing called a Scoby(Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast). I started my first brew/batch and began with a 2ltr amount. He and the books said that you can do multiple quantities so I continued to make triple brews in the one container.

After the first 5 days, I gave the brew a taste. I was really surprised, pleasantly so. Still a wee bit sweet but you could tell that it was fermenting as there was a slight effervescence and the colour had turned to a clear almost wine like appearance. I checked the Ph as recommended by the books and when I got a Ph of 3.0, I was ready to bottle. I used the standard brown brewers bottles with the integral cap and got about 6 bottles made. I stored them in one of our cooler cupboards and put one in the fridge before making my next batch.

I got into quite a routine. I started every morning with half a wine glass full first thing on an empty stomach then continued with a normal breakfast after getting washed and dressed. It gives the drink a chance to enter you body after 20mins and start doing its thing. I must confess that the first 5 days were somewhat unpleasant as I had many visits to the bathroom but I persevered continuing with my daily intake of water(2 ltrs/day, 8 glasses). After about a week I was having one morning constitutional and I felt pretty good.

I only stayed with the one glass in the morning and on visiting my mum, she noticed that I'd lost a lot of weight but not to the extent that I looked unhealthy. I wasn't exactly big at 6ft and 13 and 1/2 stone with a 34" waist but I weigh myself and yep i had lost a stone and down to a 33" waist.

I stopped making the brew for a bout 3 years now since I spend a lot of my time at sea. Now I have finished that job I have some time at home to getting back into it. I've put a Video together in the hope it might at least create a bit of curiosity of how to make a batch.


WARNING/DISCLAIMER:
I must stress that it is advisable to seek professional medical advice before attempting to drink Kombucha. Every person has different experiences with the product and should cease consumption if any symptoms persist. Pregnant or Lactating women should contact their Mid-wife or health practitioner before consumption.


No comments:

Post a Comment